BN(O) – British National Overseas


The British National (Overseas) (BNO) visa is available for Hong Kong residents who are British nationals (overseas) and their eligible family members. This visa allows individuals to live in the Isle of Man and the UK.


You can apply for a BNO visa if you meet the following criteria:

Family Members

Your eligible family members can apply for a dependant visa along with you.

Duration of Stay

You can apply for either a 2 years and 6 months visa or a 5-year visa. You have the option to extend your visa once you are in the Isle of Man and can apply for extensions multiple times. After living in the Isle of Man for 5 years, you can apply for permanent residency.

Please note that this is a general overview, and it is advisable to refer to the specific visa requirements and guidelines for detailed information.

Other conditions at a glance

Can my family members join me?

Is an English test required?

NHS Surcharge payable?
No – this does not apply in the Isle of Man.

Is a Criminal record certificate required?
No, a certificate is not required but convictions are required to be disclosed as part of the application process.

Can this path lead to Indefinite Leave to Remain / British citizenship?
Yes – subject to English language skills being demonstrated.

For a personalised, no cost, no obligation assessment of your Isle of Man immigration options - please complete our simple questionnaire; we will review it and revert to you by email